Sunday, July 31, 2011

I remember the day we met.....

The following is a guest post written by Karen Kelly. She is a mother of five beautiful children and has been instrumental in the organization of benefit events for Lotte's of Love, including making many of the yummy treats at the bake sale table during the Yard Sale we held in early July.

I remember the day we met.....
Photo by Karen Kelly


My husband and I and our three kids had just moved into a Blackhawk Condo. Boxes were everywhere. We knew no one. There was a knock at the door one afternoon. I was confused at who it could be. I opened the door to a woman about my age. She apologized for bothering me and said they had just returned from camping and she was wondering if I had some milk she could borrow for her 18 month old little boy. She told me they lived just through the parking lot from us. She told me her name was Charlotte. And we have been friends ever since.

She has been there for me in every aspect of my life. When I feel my world is crashing down around me. Her arms are there to hold me up. When great things come about for myself or my family, her smile is there to cheer me on. We are often asked if we are sisters and I want to wrap my arms around her and yell, "Yes!" because she is that close to my heart.

Charlotte is strong. Strong body. Strong and clear mind. Strong values. Strong feelings for what she is passionate about. Strong in the face of adversity, from many angles. Strong, raw love for her family, especially her two young sons. Strong faith. When I am with her I pull from her strength. Whether we are playing at the park or on a late night shopping trip. She makes me strive to be better, hold on for longer and trust that the Lord will pick up the rest. I find peace in her testimony and love listening to her speak of the things she knows are true.

I can't believe she has cancer. I just can't grasp it. Not Charlotte!! When I look at her I think, "No. Please, no." I am still in denial some days. Then she talks of the treatments she will need and the side effects and I am sick to my stomach. A quiet acceptance comes over me. And I know it is real. She does have cancer. It's very serious. I could lose her. And I don't think I can handle that right now. Not ever. We are supposed to grow old together and go on Cruises when we are in our sixties. (Well, not a Cruise. We both get motion sickness.) But a mountain retreat somewhere.......

All my love and sincerity,

Karen

2 comments:

cleggclan said...

Karen. You made me cry! You put into words so much of what I feel for Charlotte. I think she is a rock for so many people! I dont know what I would do without her! I'm grateful that through her I met you and am getting to know so many other wonderful ladies. She must be an awesome person magnet that somehow caught me in its beam. LOVE YOU!

Lotte said...

YOU make me stronger.